Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tomorrow I teach

Tomorrow morning I've been invited to teach three classes at a local public school. I'm doing basic lessons and crafts related to the Jewish holiday called Chanukah. 
Of course, I'm not a teacher (I'm a communications advisor to Canada's Department of National Defence), but I've spent my life surrounded by teachers and have done enough of it on the side to know a thing or two about how fun it can be.

I'm looking forward to the lessons we'll be doing. Of course, the one problem that keeps coming to mind as I dream about this little break from my everyday mommying duties, is the fact that I only get about 35 minutes with each class. How much can I impart in 35 minutes? How much can I impart in 35 minutes to 7 year olds? How much can I impart in 35 minutes to 7 year olds in their second language (French)? Oy. I hope I can leave them with at least the basics. 

I baked them some mini Chanukah cupcakes, because I figure that everyone's heart is won through cupcakes. And I even sprinkled them with blue and white candy star of Davids. Between that and the popsicle stick menorahs we'll be building, I figure they should all be about ready to take on their own pulpit positions after our class.

As much as I'm sure I'll enjoy the few hours I'll spend at the local elementary school, this is what will be waiting for me when I come home.




Now that's what I call a sweet treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment